Gastric Surgery is an operation your doctor may suggest if your health is at risk due to severe obesity. The procedure involves reducing your stomach size and connecting it to the lower part of your small intestine which restricts the amount of food you can eat and the number of calories you’re able to absorb through your small intestines. It can also cause hormonal changes that deter you from eating unhealthy foods.
The benefits of gastric bypass surgery are:
- Weight loss – on average people lose between 66% and 75% of excess weight in the two years after gastric bypass surgery
- Improvements in any weight-related conditions you may have, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease
- You’re more able to do physical activity which can lead to increased energy, fitness, strength, stamina, bone density, improved mood and self-confidence
Your doctor may recommend gastric bypass surgery if:
- You have a BMI of 40 or higher – this is known as ‘morbid obesity’
- You have a BMI between 35 and 40 together with a serious condition that could be improved with weight loss
- You’ve tried to lose weight through diet and lifestyle
- You’re willing to have long-term follow-up appointments and adopt a healthy diet and lifestyle
- You’re medically fit for surgery
This is a video done by Realize which shows the procedure.